Home > Emigrating to Canada > Official Documentation Required When Moving to Canada

Official Documentation Required When Moving to Canada

By: Elizabeth Mugan BA/BSc, PGDipLaw, BVC, CIArb - Updated: 30 Mar 2017 |
Canada Emigrating Immigration

Canada is one of the most beautiful countries in the world. With hot summers and snowy winters, it is no wonder that it is one of the most popular countries for Expats to reside. As with all foreign countries, Canada is no exception to the rigorous rules and regulations for entering the country. The immigration application process is tedious and can prove quite stressful for you and your family. If you plan on living in Canada, there are certain documents that are required and must be kept on your person.

Documents Required for Entry

You must obtain a Canadian immigrant Visa in order to enter the country. You will also need confirmation of parental responsibility of any dependent applicants arriving with you, plus the Passport of the main applicant and the other family members travelling with you.

Additionally, you are required to supply details of personal household items being transferred to Canada. These must be listed separately in terms of the ones that are with you now and the ones that are arriving late, along with the money value of each household item.

Other Documentation

When moving to Canada you need to provide proof of your bank assets and generally condition financially. The easiest way to provide such proof is through bank statements. Health documents including official documentation as to what vaccinations you and your family members have taken are important when moving to your new country. Other records such as birth and marriage certificates, education records, employer references etc will go a long way to supporting your entry.

As with all countries, entry to Canada depends upon a number of factors. These include your family circumstance and whether you have relatives in Canada, employment circumstances and job offers, financial circumstances, just to name a few. Depending on your reasons for moving to Canada, and the employment you are about to take up, you may require further documentation to support your entry. Possibilities include a medical examination, a police certificate, if you require one as part of your criminal and security check and sometimes language testing, as required, in English and/or French.


During your time in Canada and beforehand, you will have to complete a number of application forms. Make sure that these are all completed correctly and signed, enclosing the appropriate supporting documentation and fees. If you miss something on your application, it will inevitably slow the process and cause you some difficulty, as it will be sent back to you to resubmit. Make sure you use any document checklist that comes with the application.It is also advised that you employ an experienced immigration agent or advisor to help with your application. They will be much savvier with the visa and immigration process, and what is required to enter legally and successfully. Their fee will be money well-spent, compared with the hassle of making sure you do everything correctly.

Top Tips

Always keep copies of all your documentation on your person whilst you settle in. This will help if you need to show proof of your circumstances at any time. Additionally, it may be worth having your documents translated to French to make sure that they are accessible to all. Think about whether your job will require you to speak a language. If your English isn’t great or you need to top up your French, it may be worth taking some lessons.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
hi my husband is hoping to get a work visa this year he is a heavy goods/long haul driver, we have been told that he would move out there for a few months and then myself and our children can then move out a few months later. my question is, is there any chance we could move out with my husband when he 1st moves over there and get our visas or be put on my husbands visa whilst out there?
vicx - 30-Mar-17 @ 11:29 AM
@Vivien - I'm afraid we are not an immigration service, but an advice website and we do not contact our readers directly. You would have to go through the Government of Canada website, link here.
EmigrationExpert - 18-Jun-15 @ 2:30 PM
I am very interested in moving to Canada within next a few years. I have master degree, working as a HR officer in a recruitment agency. I have similar work experience for 10 years. I am 38 years old and have a family. We do want to move to Canada together, but not necessarily at the same time. Could you please contact me? I can discuss more about myself and possibilities to migrate to Canada. Many thanks.
Vivien - 16-Jun-15 @ 3:07 PM
@Carroll - I assume you know you will need a total of 67 points to qualify under Canada's immigration points system. We have a whole list of helpful pages you can access via here .
EmigrationExpert - 10-Dec-14 @ 10:56 AM
Please advise on emigrating to Canada to be with family . My husband is 79 and I am 72.my husband is a UK citizen . I am a citizen of the USA with a UK residence. We are financially independent. Our daughter wants us to be near her and her family in our later years
Carroll - 8-Dec-14 @ 10:39 PM
My husbandand myself are planning to retireby the end of the year.we run our own business. my husband will be 65 this yeaar. my plan is to work paart time may be 8hr or so.I do notknow how this would work.please let know if this is possible. thanks
NONE - 10-Apr-13 @ 7:29 PM
Could you advise as to the relative difficulty, or not, of emigrating to Canada from France. We have no children or dependents, both fluent in French and English as we are British by birth. My wife teaches English to French companies and I am a graduate in Economics from Nottingham University UK. I have for many years worked in sales and marketing chemicals to the paper, adhesives and coatings (paint etc) industries (worked for Unilever, ICI etc). I am 48 years of age and am now free of family ties and seeking a new challenge after 20 yrs in France. Is this an option?
abrom - 4-Apr-13 @ 4:15 PM
Hi I am 26 year recently post graduate from UK in brewing and distilling, would like to migrate Canada in next couple of year. My nationality is indian. would i be eligible? Thnaks
kk - 8-Oct-12 @ 11:01 AM
I am a 30 year old qualified Electrician from England, my girlfriend is 25 years old and almost a qulified UK trained Nurse. We would like to emigrate to Canada possibly Alberta in the next couple of years. Would we be eligible? Thanks......
Triskoi - 23-Nov-11 @ 11:35 AM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments