Home > Work & Education > Emigrating Due to Existing Employment

Emigrating Due to Existing Employment

By: Tracy Whitelaw - Updated: 10 Jun 2013 | comments*Discuss
Emigrating Due To Existing Employment

Many people in the UK will emigrate abroad due to their existing UK job or due to having a job available to them in their new country. If you have a job to go to it can often make the process of obtaining a visa slightly easier, however it doesn’t always mean you’ll be accepted. There are various channels to follow in the visa process, but some of the main ones are outlined here.

UK Employers Sponsoring Emigration

Many UK companies are expanding into the worldwide market and often they require skilled individuals from their UK branches to emigrate to help start up the new foreign offices. For a UK individual this can be one of the easier migration streams and often employers will not only pay for any costs associated with your visa, but also will help with relocation costs.

Relocation costs can include anything from flights to buying you a residence to stay in when you arrive. If your employer is interested in following this path with you, it will be country dependent as to which visa class you can apply for. Often these kinds of work sponsored visas are only temporary, however many allow you to stay abroad for 4 years or more. During this time you’re allowed to apply for permanent residency or you can continue to renew your temporary residency. Either way, you will already have a secure job and will know the business you’re in. You may continue to be paid in the UK, if this is the case, you should contact your local tax office for further information. You will be liable for tax on any earnings in the UK, so ideally it would be more beneficial to be paid into a bank account in your new country.

Foreign Employers Looking for UK Workers

Many foreign countries are actively seeking UK workers. Dependent on your speciality, you may be eligible for an employer sponsored visa. If this is the case, you can organise this from the UK so that you have existing employment to help expedite your visa application process. If you do decide to attempt to emigrate due to this type of visa, it is often better to speak with a qualified migration agent who can help you with all the forms and the correct procedures involved. Some of the main countries looking for skilled workers are Australia, USA, Canada, South Africa and New Zealand. There are many employers and companies within these countries who will be happy to offer you employment to help with your visa application being successful.

Emigrating to the USA and Existing Employment

If you’re able to secure a job in the USA whilst still in the UK, you can apply for an H1B visa. Generally this visa is used for those who are considered highly skilled in either the professional or technical realm. In order to apply for this visa, you must always get your employer to file the application for you. Individuals can’t apply for an H1B visa. If you’re in the fields of finance, IT, computing, banking, marketing, sales, teaching, medicine or any other specialist sectors, this could be the correct visa route for you to follow. The H1B visa is usually valid for up to 6 years and you can take your family with you when you move. It is also a good visa as it is a ‘dual-intent’ visa which means that if you are hoping to permanently reside in the USA, you can apply for a green card whilst living there on your H1B visa.

Emigrating to Australia and Existing Employment

There are a few options available to those who are seeking to become employed by an Australian business to help them secure their visa. The main route most individuals take is to apply for jobs in Australia that are actively recruiting foreign nationals to plug any gaps in the local workforce. A subclass 457 visa is a common temporary visa that allows Australian employers to sponsor a foreign individual. After a period of two years, you would need to leave Australia or apply for another visa to remain in the country. If you’re looking for a permanent move and want to have existing employment to get you a visa, you can apply to an employer through the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme or through the Employer Nominated Scheme.

Emigrating and Your Job

If you are asked to emigrate due to existing employment, always try and see the move as temporary if you’re at all worried about it. Often if you’re setting up a company for your UK base company, you’ll only be abroad for a certain length of time. If you’re hoping to make it permanent, make sure you use the chance you’ve been given to start building a community and social network. This may prove useful when you do try to obtain your permanent residency.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word: