Home > Applying > Official Documentation When Moving to France

Official Documentation When Moving to France

By: Tracy Whitelaw - Updated: 11 Sep 2016 | comments*Discuss
Official Documentation When Moving To France

Thousands of UK residents relocate each year to the warmer climates of Europe, with France being one of the most popular places to settle. Only a few hours away from London, France is seen as a little bit of exotic continental Europe right on the doorstep of the UK and the culture, lifestyle and environment prove to be a big draw for many UK citizens.

As part of the EU, UK citizens can freely move to France without too much trouble, but as with any move abroad there are certain documents you must remember to take with you.

Important Documents to Take When Moving to France

As with any move abroad, it's fundamental to take all your official UK documentation with you. When moving to France, remember that you will need to have your documents translated into French and you can either do this in the UK before you go or when you arrive in France. Essential documents you will need are:

  • Birth Certificate
  • EU Passport
  • UK Driving Licence
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Insurance Paperwork

You may also need to obtain a residency card. This will be issued within six months of applying. It is free and is valid for five years. This will allow you to work freely in France and to obtain the correct social security documents. In most cases, your employer will deal with this for you and you shouldn't have too many issues with social security paperwork. The Securite Sociale can be used to reimburse you for certain expenses, pay you any pension you're entitled to and a variety of other social services.

Healthcare in France as a UK Citizen

As France is an EEA Country, those who choose to move there permanently must give up their normal rights to NHS medical treatment. The NHS works on a residence-basis and therefore you are expected to receive treatment in France in accordance with local law. In order to ensure your documentation is all correct:

  • Notify your GP that you wish to be removed from the NHS register
  • Register within 3 months of arriving in France and provide evidence that you are financially able to pay for your own medical needs
  • Show evidence of private or personal medical insurance such as an E106 form if you're eligible for one
  • Speak to your UK health authority to see whether you need a specific form to take to France due to your own personal circumstances
  • When in France find out about the Carte Vitale and how you can register

To find out whether you're able to receive medical cover under the E106 route (or any other), contact the Department of Work & Pensions in the UK. They can help you work out your eligibility. French residents generally have private healthcare unless at retirement age. Once you have been in France over five years you're considered a permanent resident, but again this requires official documents.

Proving You Are an Official Resident of France

Many UK expats complain of the high amount of paperwork and bureaucracy in France for new citizens residing there permanently. If you have been a resident in France for over five years, in order to prove you actually reside there, you must have tax statements, utility bills, bank statements and other evidence of your involvement in the local community.

This means that you are able to prove you officially live there and are therefore entitled to be treated as any other French citizen. You should apply for a Carte de Sejour within three months of arriving in France as this will be your residency permit. If you're planning to stay indefinitely, it will be issued for 5 years initially and can be extended after this time.

Website Design, Illustration, Hosting and SEO

If you are looking to increase brand awareness, generate web enquiries and/or generate online sales In Studio Digital will create an affordable, mobile friendly, secure website - check out In Studio Digital.

Based in the UK, skilled in WordPress, web design, ecommerce and illustration, they will build your site quickly, host it on a high performance server, and make it SEO friendly. Prices start at £399.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
Hi, Because of brexit I have decided to leave the UK. I will be moving to Sweden and I would be grateful for any advice regarding paperwork needed. Thanks. Regards, Mary
Mary - 11-Sep-16 @ 8:29 PM
HI We have owned a holiday home in France for 17 years and want to move there in a couple of years. I have decided because of brexit to move there before the sign the article 50. so in the next couple of months. What would I need to do? and could you help with this? Because of tax reasons I don't want to do a french tax return this year but next year would be ok. Our house is declared as a second home and I'm about to change it to my first when I get the Tax bills, Franciar,Habitation. Regards Peter
Peter - 8-Sep-16 @ 2:28 PM
add - Your Question:
Hi needing help we own a bar in france me and my husband having been living in france for 3 years are daughters go to a french schoolour son is 20 and living with us , he has just found himself a 3 month contract working in the area , a local person was telling us that if our son doesn't find work after this contract ends he could be deported is this true ?

Our Response:
I'm afraid we only concentrate on UK-based law. However, if you are EU citizens and are entitled to live in France, or are in France as a family on a valid visa, then there is no reason why your son would be deported.
EmigrationExpert - 15-Sep-15 @ 1:54 PM
hi needing helpwe own a bar in franceme and my husband having been living in france for 3 years are daughters go to a french schoolour son is 20 and living with us , he has just found himself a 3 month contract working in the area , a local person was telling us that if our son doesn't find work after this contract ends he could be deported is this true ?
add - 14-Sep-15 @ 2:26 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word: