Home > Emigrating To Europe > Official Documentation When Moving to Spain

Official Documentation When Moving to Spain

By: Tracy Whitelaw - Updated: 4 Mar 2013 | comments*Discuss
Moving To Spain Living Abroad Living In

As a member of the EU citizens from the UK are able to move to Spain to live there permanently if they choose to do so. This is the same through all EU countries and you have the choice of remaining there temporarily or permanently. If you feel that you would like to move to Spain to reside, there are a few official documents that will make your transition smoother and should hopefully allow you to settle there more quickly.

Finalising Paperwork in the UK

Some of the most important paperwork you can complete before moving abroad to Spain is for the tax or pensions you may have in the UK. You will need to let the tax office know that you’re leaving the country so that you can finalise any payments or receive any rebates that you may be entitled to. If you are still receiving a UK income, you’ll be liable for tax on this, however as Spain and the UK have a double taxation treaty, you’ll be charged less and given tax relief. You should also request a pension forecast so that you can receive your pension in Spain if you live there through your retirement. You can obtain this by contacting the UK Pensions Service in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. If you are already paying local Spanish social security payments then these will need to be taken into account also. Remember that entitlements and pension age can vary from country to country. You should still receive your pension through a Spanish payment office without too much trouble however.

Official Documents to Take With You

When you move to Spain there are a few essential documents you shouldn’t leave the UK without. These mainly are: passport, marriage/birth certificate, bank details, credit card and an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) for access to healthcare in Spain. You don’t require a Visa to travel to Spain as a UK citizen and in fact have almost as much right to entry there and anywhere else in the EU as you do in the UK. Many people will take out travel insurance for their journey to Spain. This can be a handy piece of documentation to have, and think of the insurance as you would when you’re going on holiday. It will protect you against the costs involved with replacing lost luggage, with delayed flights and often with the loss of money or travellers cheques. It is a great idea to make numerous photocopies of all your official paperwork. Give it to someone whom you trust back in the UK and take some with you also. It can come in handy in case you need to replace anything when you’re in Spain.

Arrival and Official Documentation

When you arrive in Spain there is no big fanfare to welcome you to the country as a new resident. You’ll be considered welcome just as any newcomer, however for you things will be different, as you will have more paperwork to sort out on arrival.

You will need to obtain what is known as an NIE number. These are available from the National Police station and are mandatory for any foreigner living or working in Spain. This form is filled in and returned to the National Police station along with your original passport and a photocopy of it also. The whole process takes around 4 weeks and at this time you can collect your number. This is used for opening a bank account and other official procedures. You also need to get a social security number if you plan to work in Spain. These can be obtained easily by going to the social security office with your original passport and a photocopy. Here you can fill in a form that will then allow you to have a plastic card sent to you with your number on it. They will issue you with a temporary card however so that you can apply for jobs. Once you have all this paperwork, you’re ready to begin your new life in the sun and to enjoy all that the Spanish culture has to offer you.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments